Monday 13 January 2014

Reminiscences Part One

Hi everyone. In todays and also in few following articles I have something very special for you. Around this time last year, I´ve returned from the biggest adventure of my life, my two months long trip to Southeast Asia. And since I´ve documented only a part of it and even that was on my Slovakian blog, I decided it´s time to share with my international audience as well.
First off, some background. Why had I decided to visit this part of the world and why to travel in the first place. Everything started on 22th of July in 1985. I was born as a small boy into a young family...

Alright, no need to get that far. Another try: I´ve got my first real six-string, bought it at the Five-and-dime. Played until my fingers bled, it was the summer o'... Wrong turn, brain, focus!

Summer of 2012. I was working as an entertainter in a lovely (I hated it) hotel with many great guests (that is actually true, loved them all, well most of them). As the season was slowly coming to its end, I had to decide, what to do during the wintertime. I had many options first, but soon they somehow faded away and I decided if I won't travel, I will probably regret it later in my life. And since I've just finished my Open Water scuba-diving course and was really psyched about it, I went for the option of doing Advanced Open Water plus Divemaster internship in Thailand. I've contacted a guy running a small dive-center on the island of Phuket and after few emails packed with info, we agreed. Internship was meant to start in December and as my season in Cyprus finishes 31th of October, only thing left to do was to lay down the plans for November. Didn't take me too long and the itinerary was finished.

At this moment I have to explain my concept of travelling. I don't do plans. I don't do itineraries. When I say itinerary, it means which country I am currently in and which I will visit next. Only thing I have prior to take-off is a small backpack on my back and an airplane ticket in my hand. I call it guerrila travelling. The fact that it can actually cause you trouble I've realized in Bangkok, shortly after my plane landed there, but I will get to that.

That being said, my itinerary was Bahrain - Bangkok, Thailand - Laos - Cambodia - Phuket, Thailand in about four weeks, taking off on November 5th from Larnaca International Airport in Cyprus. On that day I've spent a lovely day in the town of Larnaca, had few beers and watched one of the last Formula One races of the season in one of the pubs on the seaside boulevard. My flight was scheduled for 4am and with a plenty of time ahead I've decided to walk from the town centre to the airport, which was somewhere around 7km away. Yeah, why not, I am in shape from six months being paid for playing beach volley and doing canoe races, I thought. After five kilometers I'd realized it wasn't only sports I did last six months, but also lots of partying, sleeping on the lilo in my equipment room, or sometimes not sleeping at all, and going to work straight from a beach party. I love being an entertainer, did I mention that? Check out this video review of the hotel I was working for. Ridiculous guy in orange t-shirt doing water aerobics is me.




Anywho, I managed to beat that freakin' distance to the airport. Limping and slouching I made it to the airport's main hall and prepared for another sleep on the airport. By the way, hint for overnight sleepers on any airport: massage chairs. Much more comfortable that those awful steel seats.

Night passed and so did my two-and-a-half hours long flight to Bahrain. Shortly before landing I've glimpsed the city and already got excited thinking, what architectonical marvel the airport will be. If you ever been to Bahrain International, you must know I was disappointed. No architectonical marvel, just a plain one-storey building, even the Larnaca Airport was more interesting.




I managed to find that one window to sit at that was so dirty you couldn't see anything through it



I've spent quite a long time trying to find a working toilet, they all seemed to be clogged, the water-level was ridiculously high. After checking literally all of them, when even fake plants in the hall started to look appealing and I really had to go, I used one of the 'broken' ones. Apparently they were not broken at all, and this is how toilets work in Arabic countries. Ridiculous! Seemed like the time has stopped while I was looking for the working toiled, but the next twelve hours went quite fast. I've found a good wi-fi, watched several movies, slept a bit and soon my final flight of that year was about to take off.

Next episode: Dirty (in every meaning) streets of Bangkok and adventures in Laos.

0 comments :

Post a Comment